11 Holiday Entertaining Tips from a Lifestyle Editor and Event Planner
With the upcoming holidays, everyone is asking for entertaining tips to make holiday hosting absolutely effortless. And so today I'm offering up some holiday entertaining tips to take your holiday entertaining to the next level. So if you’re entertaining this holiday season, here are a few tips to help you feel confident hosting this year’s Christmas dinner or New Year's Eve cocktail party in style. These practical, proven and headache-free tips are sure to help you save while still being the ultimate host. Break out the invitations because you have a holiday party to throw with no detail spared for an unforgettable evening.
Holiday entertaining tips for stress free hosting
- As a lifestyle editor and event planner, my first tip is to start prepping for your party well ahead of time so you don’t feel overwhelmed. Break things down into smaller daily tasks to get things done before “D” day.
- Secondly, do your cleaning and setup the day before, so on party day all you have to do is layout the food with plenty of time to get glamorous.
- When it comes to centerpieces think simple elegance. Grab some flowers from the local grocer and place in a glass vase with water, a few acorns from the back yard or some brightly colored fruits in a glass vase.
- No lighting is better than candle light when it comes to creating an ambiance; and is a great way to convey warmth and comfort.
- Overlook the complicated menu and opt for no-fuss foods like appetizers and desserts on festive and decorative platters and serving trays.
- Make your guests feel special while you save by serving up pre-mixed signature cocktails in large pitchers or beverage servers.
- Devote a piece of furniture set with glasses and a ice bucket as your bar, and let your guests serve themselves. Be sure to put your bar in a corner separate from the food to avoid traffic jams, especially if you’re limited on space.
- When it comes to music, it the holidays so create a party playlist that’s fun and upbeat.
- Decorate without spending much by wrapping empty boxes and cans in festive gift paper instead of real gifts; then use as room decor.
- Don’t have matching plates. No problem! Mix and match your tableware to present a creative, pretty and eclectic table setting.
- Create simple and easy place cards to let everyone know where they’re seated using craft paper to write names and your dinner fork as a place-card holder.