5 Ways to Manage Work and Personal Life to Create a Happy Medium
I take pride in being a business owner, and though it's easy to flex my entrepreneurial muscle it is also hard work. I have to manage a family and churn out work that’s not only high quality but that is also a reflection of my professional brand. I spend my days [and sometimes nights] grinding it out, so I'm very familiar with the exhausted and frazzled feeling of working for yourself. But, as mompreneurs you can only burn the candle at both ends for but so long, before you start to feel completely drained. Hence the importance of managing work and personal life to create a happy medium. I don't believe in the elusive term "work life balance", especially for business owners with kids, because there are so many things competing for our time. However, I do believe there is a way to manage work and personal life to create a happy medium. And that happy medium, may be different for everyone. So, today I want to share a few tips that hopefully will help you manage work and personal life to create a happy medium.
Tips to give work and home their due
- Build personal and down time into your schedule: Take it from me, I know how business activities can squeeze out personal needs. Now I [physically schedule personal and downtime so I can honor personal commitments and take time to re-charge. And while work is important sometimes you have to refocus in order to maintain your sanity.
- Prioritize, Prioritize, Prioritize: Once you've created a schedule that works for you, prioritize the things that needs to be done in order of their importance. I like to work from a to-do-list, so I list all the things that needs to be done including personal tasks. I then place a star next to the items that are of high importance or must dos and complete those.
- Unplug a bit: I must admit, I've had a hard time with this one because my whole business is built around social media and technology. However, I knew I could do a better job of disconnecting every now and then. Now I honor the time I block out for personal time versus the time to check my messages, respond to comments and manage social media.
- Learn to delegate: As business owners we sometimes find it very difficult to let go. But delegating the tasks that you either don't like doing, is not good at, or takes up too much of your time to someone else can make you more fruitful.
- Learn to Say No: I've had to learn the hard way that not every invitation in life, I can accept. Understand that when you stop doing things out of guilt, there will be more time to focus on things that truly make you happy.
Managing work and personal life can be quite a challenge, so how do YOU create a happy medium?